Thursday, March 7, 2013

College Graduates without Jobs

This article talks about the high rate of unemployment not only for most of the nation, but also for college graduates.It says that many college graduates are left without jobs and forced to move back in with their parents. Many unemployed graduates are frustrated that they aren't working after receiving their diploma. Although there is still a high rate of unemployment, there has been improvement from years prior.Unemployment rates are expected to continue to improve in the future. College students are also encouraged to start looking for work and internships throughout their college career to help secure a job after graduation.

I discussed previously that many people don't in fact graduate college after being accepted and attending the school. I may be a little naive  but I used to think that if you were fortunate enough to graduate from  college and get a diploma, you were probably going to be able to find a job fairly quickly. Now that I know that is not the case, I am quite disappointed. After all the hard work that graduates put in during college, I think that it is only fair that they get a job. I know that many companies make an effort to hire recent college graduates to get them started early on in their careers. However, it is still very difficult to find work. This leads me to believe that college may not be the best option for some people. While attending college may be considered the social norm for people in my particular area, some people become very successful without a college degree. Now that unemployment rates are high (even for college graduates) it may pay for some high school students to get a head start in the workforce without attending college.

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely a article that discusses topics near and dear to my heart! As someone going to college soon, one of my biggest concerns (and more importantly, one of my mother's biggest concerns) is whether I will be able to support myself after college ends. In this economy, I truthfully don't know. One of the things I am planning to do to make my burden a little easier is taking out as few student loans as possible, and making sure that the college I attend has opportunities for me to get internships and make connections. As the article says, that is one of the most important things you can do and I agree (and more importantly, my mother agrees). I really don't want to be a jobless, unemployed college grad so hopefully these stats don't end up applying to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely a good idea to take out loans, make connections, and find internships. I know I plan on doing the same. I think that as long as you do these things you will have the best possibility of finding a job. It seems like you already have a pretty good idea of how to go about your future education and career so I am sure that the chances of you ending up as a jobless, unemployed college grad are slim!

      Delete